Team Kanban Practitioner® (TKP)
Length 8 hours
Learn effective techniques to help teams manage their work at a sustainable pace.
The Team Kanban Practitioner® (TKP) course gives you the knowledge and tools to boost your Agile team performance, and provides the foundations to be an effective Kanban practitioner.
The Kanban Method is a knowledge work management approach for teams and organizations that prefer an alternative path to Agility; one that provides a humane way of evolving and continuously improving their products and services. The Kanban Method helps organizations how to organize your work, improve transparency, identify bottlenecks, visualize workflows, improve communication, enhance team collaboration, and measure systems of work to continually improve and consistently deliver effective results.
Learn how to improve your work experience by:
- Reducing overburdening.
- Managing dependencies and blockers.
- Tackling workflow challenges.
- Committing with confidence.
- Increasing collaboration.
Learn core concepts of the Kanban Method with a progressive learning approach through our highly interactive simulation and focused collaborative hands-on exercises.
Note: This course is available to be completed in two half days or one full day.
WHO IS THIS COURSE FOR?
This course is strongly recommended for Team Leads and Managers responsible for creating a high-performance work environment, Managers who want to transform their teams, Scrum Masters, and Project Managers who need to know how to work with and improve their Agile and Scrum teams, and team members for almost any kind of service or delivery, and anyone in a professional services role.
It is also a good knowledge base for:
- Anyone who feels overburdened and wishes to find some respite to enable them to “get things done” with transparency, quality, improved speed, and predictability.
- Managers and team members who need help focusing on what to work on now, what to leave until later, and what to discard altogether.
- Individuals that need to manage their work more effectively, have too much work in progress, or that receive either unpredictable or bursts of work at times.
- Those who want to take pride of workmanship and do good quality work in an effective manner.
- Anyone facilitating teams doing projects, operations, development, support, or research.
- Anyone interested in understanding the fundamentals of Kanban.
If you are considering using Kanban, this course provides a great opportunity to learn about the core practices of Kanban, how Kanban can help your team work better together, discuss some common challenges to getting started, and what results to expect.
If you will be taking the Kanban System Design® (KSD) course and you are relatively new to Kanban you may find it beneficial to first take this course. More experienced practitioners may feel comfortable jumping straight into the Kanban System Design® (KSD) course.
By successfully completing the Team Kanban Practitioner® (TKP) course, you will be able to:
- Design an effective Kanban system and initiate change with Kanban.
- Improve your team member’s work environment and well-being.
- Design and implement a personal or team-level Kanban board.
- Understand work item types, and the risks associated with specific work items.
- Be familiar with a variety of different Team Kanban board designs and styles and know how to choose a design that is best suited for a team's context.
- Learn about the Kanban training roadmap and the value and benefits to be derived at each step on the ‘Alternative Path to Agility’.
We will also cover the core learning objectives from Kanban University®, which include:
- Understand the basics, motivation, and benefits of The Kanban Method.
- Learn the six core Kanban Practices and three Kanban Change Management Principles, and how to use them.
- Experience the benefit of WIP limits to improve flow.
- Learn how to run Kanban meetings to focus on the work and allow the team to organize around it.
- Learn how to proceed to the next level with Kanban and apply the first practices in your day-to-day work.
- Become faster and more responsive, with better risk management and governance.
- Understand the fundamental concept of “Pull” systems, and how they help relieve overburdening.
No prerequisite formal training or certification required, however prior experience leading, managing, or working on an Agile team would be beneficial.
Here are some recommended learning suggestions for before the class:
Welcome, Logistics & Expectations
Part 1 – Kanban Fundamentals
- What is the Kanban Method?
- The Meaning and Origin of Kanban
- Team Kanban
Part 2 – Experience Kanban
- Kanban Core Practices
- Visualizing Work
- Limiting Work in Progress (WIP)
- Managing Flow
- A Kanban Simulation of Flow, Work Visualization, and WIP
- Making Policies Explicit
- Feedback Loops
Part 3 – Kanban in Action
- Types of Kanban Boards
- Examples of Kanban in Use
Part 4 – Practicing the Craft
- Kanban Change Principles
- Build a Kanban Board
Upcoming course dates