Combined Registered Scrum Master® (RSM) and Registered Product Owner® (RPO)
RSM & RPO
Length 24 hours
This 3-day course provides the combined knowledge and hands on learning experience to practice the skills to be an effective Scrum Master AND Product Owner.
The combined Registered Scrum Master® (RSM) and Registered Product Owner® (RPO) course is a tactical win for learning both how to serve as an effective Scrum Master AND as a Product Owner on a Scrum Team during a successful Scrum transformation. You will learn what the real Scrum Framework is, how it operates, and how to effectively support your Scrum team and your organization as an Agile leader, Scrum expert, and change agent. You will also learn how to craft and communicate an effective product vision, and to support a delivery team so they know not just WHAT they are creating, but WHY as well.
- Practice being an effective Scrum Master AND Product Owner with an interactive role-based simulation.
- Enable a team to deliver complex products while improving quality and effectiveness.
- Learn techniques to identify, strategize on, and tackle team obstacles.
- Discover how to lead adaptive Product Teams in delivering on a Product Vision.
- Explore techniques to prioritize and manage work for a team so they may focus on delivery.
- Differentiate with the only Scrum Master and Product Owner credentials endorsed by Jeff Sutherland, the co-creator of Scrum.
The Registered Scrum Master® (RSM) and Registered Product Owner® (RPO) credentials formally recognize your knowledge of lean principles, Scrum Master techniques, patterns of high-performing teams, and how the Scrum Master and Product Owner roles scale in an organization. These are the only Scrum Master and Product Owner credentials in the market endorsed by Jeff Sutherland, co-creator of Scrum and inventor of Scrum@Scale®. These credentials will help differentiate you from other Scrum practitioners and Product Owners to employers, stakeholders, and peers.
Achieve the globally recognized Agile Education® Organization Registered Scrum Master® (RSM) and Registered Product Owner® (RPO) designation by successfully completing this training and the two online exams taken after this workshop (you will receive the links directly from the Agile Education® Organization after successfully completing the class).
Additional benefits of successfully completing this course include:
- Eligibility to be featured in the International Registry of Agile Professionals™.
- Authorization to use the Registered Scrum Master® and Registered Product Owner® badges to promote the merit of your achievement.
- Updated learning material year over year that aligns with the current official Scrum Guide to ensure your Scrum education continuously evolves.
- Invitation to an annual webinar and access to the on-demand recording.
WHO IS THIS COURSE FOR?
This course is strongly recommended for:
- Scrum Masters or Project Managers responsible for working with a delivery team to create meaningful solutions, delivering value to their customers, and optimizing the way in which teams work and operate.
- Product Owners who are responsible for creating a product vision and having a team deliver on that vision, delivering value to their customers, and optimizing Return on Investment for their stakeholders.
It is also recommended for:
- Professionals in any industry wanting to become Scrum Masters or servant-leaders to their team.Job seekers wishing to work for an agile organization.
- Product Managers or Product Owners who want to increase their effectiveness in delivering value to customers, stakeholders, and users.
- Job seekers wishing to expand their Scrum knowledge or product ownership skills.
- Professionals interested in being “agile.”
- Traditional Project Managers, Product Managers, or Business Analysts looking to transform their careers.
- SAFe® Practitioners that want to expand their capabilities and create the potential to explore Scrum@Scale®, a scaling framework based on true Scrum.
- Product Managers, PMPs, PMI-ACP, Team Leaders or professionals wishing to begin their journey toward becoming or supporting a Scrum Master within their organization.
- Managers and leaders wanting to support Scrum Masters or Product Managers, understand the patterns of high-performing teams, enable their POs to optimize ROI while enhancing the speed and Agility of delivering value to customers, and learn how true Scrum can deliver considerably more value at a reduced effort and cost.
This course is especially effective if you are already a Scrum Master, Project Manager, Product Owner, or Business Analyst and:
- You are considering using or improving Scrum. This is a great opportunity to learn about the best circumstances to use Scrum, common challenges, what results to expect, how to help a team deliver and improve, when not to use it, and the expectations surrounding the Scrum Master and Product Owner roles.
- If you have already been doing Agile or Scrum, this course is a valuable reminder of the expectations and details of the Scrum Master and Product Owner roles, the Agile Mindset, how to serve as an effective Scrum Master or Product Owner on a team, and how to support the team and the organization in improvement and problem-solving practices.
By successfully completing this class and associated exam, you will:
For the Registered Scrum Master® (RSM):
- Learn how to be an effective agile leader on an adaptive product team and deliver on a product vision.
- Enable a team to follow the Scrum process to deliver great products and continuously improve quality.
- Identify, strategize on, and remove obstacles that prevent teams from achieving high-performance.
- Apply tools and techniques to the role of Scrum Master for a Scrum team.
- Work with a team to enable business and technical innovation.
- Work to coach the organization towards Agility.
For the Registered Product Owner® (RPO):
Lead adaptive product teams in delivering on a product vision.
Apply tools and techniques to the role of Product Owner for a Scrum team.
Manage your backlog to achieve maximum ROI.
Create a Product Backlog that puts business priorities first.
Work with a team to enable business and technical innovation.
Leverage the business benefits of Scrum to maximize Return-On-Investment.
Describe Scrum to others including the roles, meetings, artifacts & principles, and benefits & pitfalls.
Identify the environments in which the application of Scrum would lead to excellent results.
The above list is in addition to the core learning objectives from the Agile Education® Organization, which include:
How the Scrum Framework helps deliver products and services faster and with higher quality while cutting cost and improving employee happiness and job satisfaction.
How to leverage lean principles to identify waste in a system, process, or organization.
Techniques and metrics Scrum Masters use to improve team happiness and performance.
Techniques and metrics Scrum Product Owners use to prioritize features, projects and portfolios.
How the Scrum Master role can create opportunity to scale Agility in an organization.
How to assess business value and prioritize work.
How to consistently deliver a successful product to the marketplace.
The patterns and practices of high-performing Scrum teams.
No prerequisite formal training or certification required, however prior experience with or observing an Agile team would be beneficial. Prior experience in product management or as a Business Analyst would also be beneficial.
Here are some recommended learning suggestions for before the class:
- "The Agile Manifesto" – www.agilemanifesto.org
- “The Official Scrum Guide” by Jeff Sutherland and Ken Schwaber – www.scrumguides.org
- “Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great” by Diana Larsen
- “The Great ScrumMaster” by Zuzi Sochova“
- “User Stories Applied” by Mike Cohn
- “Agile Estimating and Planning” by Mike Cohn
- “Innovation Games” by Luke Hohmann
- “Agile Product Ownership in a Nutshell” by Henrik Kniberg – www.youtube.com
Part 1 - Agility, Scrum Framework & Product Backlogs
Welcome, Logistics & Expectations
Product Owner Simulation: Build a Product Backlog
- Product Vision
- Product Details
- Customers & Users
Part 2 - Product Backlog Items, Product Backlog Management, Scrum Application
Product Owner Simulation: Product Backlog Items
- User Stories
- Acceptance Tests
- Splitting Techniques
Part 3 - Scrum Revisited, Empiricism, Practices, and Improvements
Planning & Forecasting
Tackling Impediments & Problem Solving
- High Performance
Scaling & Descaling
Definition of Done